Friday, January 23, 2009

I was born of goodly parents

When we were in high school, many students rode the bus from L.A. to attend Birmingham High. On Fridays we got out at 1, so the football players and band members were not able to get all the way home and then back for the games. Our parents encouraged us to invite some kids over to our house for lunch, relaxing and fun. What started as a small group grew to quite a few during the football season. Some have kept in touch over those 30 years.

On November 5, as I contemplated the events of the night before, I wrote to one dear friend and asked if he could have imagined this 30 years ago. This was the response from Antoine, shown here on a visit with Robert's family a few years back.
"It's people like your family who made this possible. People who don't prejudge others but take an active role in helping mankind regardless of race or socio-economic status. Thank you and your family for all you have done for me in my life in showing the true side of humanity.

"God Bless the United States of America, Obama, and Yo Mama"

2 comments:

ellen said...

I loved Fridays in high school! I remember mom always making a double batch of chocolate chip cookies the night before. I'm glad you are still in touch with Antoine.

Wade said...

Sorry we missed your BIRTHDAY Job. We are in wedding and moving mode at Gracie's house. Family in town have kept us busy. Happy Birthday Job!! May we dine with you and the Lovely Robyn soon?